2019 The Free Races of Middle-earth

Find a teammate, discuss rules or plan new Special Events for the upcoming convention.
TEW

2019 The Free Races of Middle-earth

Post by TEW » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:55 am

Fire in the Night... really!? :D

I wonder, if any group will actually win this. It is not exactly an easy scenario. More like one of the hardest as of late. ;)

Nerdmeetsyou
Site Admin

Re: 2019 The Free Races of Middle-earth

Post by Nerdmeetsyou » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:37 pm

It will be of cause played on Easy Mode. It seemed thematically fitting.

TEW

Post by TEW » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:00 pm

Still... will be interesting. :lol:

doomguard

Post by doomguard » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:43 pm

battle of 5 armys from last year is/was harder. (o.k. we played normal, but i think fire in the night is easier than 5 armys)

TEW

Post by TEW » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:40 am

Have you tried it? Especially with 3-4 players... :D

I have built a few different thematic decks so far, and I could defeat the scenario (on easy mode) with one of them at least (solo).

I also have some ideas for a decent fellowship (i.e. multiple decks that are meant to be played together), that might work.

But you really need to deckbuild specifically for this scenario.

Battle of the Five Armies has some tough stuff going on, but you can, essentially, just take a few decent decks (good questing and good combat) and play it. You won't get very far in Fire in the Night with that approach.

One of the bigger problems is, that Dagnir makes an attack (attack strength 7) against Hrogar’s Hill every round and only the first player may declare a defender (sentinel does not work against these attacks). And once the game goes into full swing, you have (assuming a 4-player group) 5-7 attacks from Dagnir alone to defend each round (sentinel will work against most of these, though) with a constantly rising threat from shadow effects (in the game I won, I had to defend attacks as high as attack strength 12 in the end), plus all the other stuff the encounter deck throws at you.

doomguard

Post by doomguard » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:23 pm

TEW wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:40 am
Have you tried it? Especially with 3-4 players... :D

I have built a few different thematic decks so far, and I could defeat the scenario (on easy mode) with one of them at least (solo).

I also have some ideas for a decent fellowship (i.e. multiple decks that are meant to be played together), that might work.

But you really need to deckbuild specifically for this scenario.

Battle of the Five Armies has some tough stuff going on, but you can, essentially, just take a few decent decks (good questing and good combat) and play it. You won't get very far in Fire in the Night with that approach.

One of the bigger problems is, that Dagnir makes an attack (attack strength 7) against Hrogar’s Hill every round and only the first player may declare a defender (sentinel does not work against these attacks). And once the game goes into full swing, you have (assuming a 4-player group) 5-7 attacks from Dagnir alone to defend each round (sentinel will work against most of these, though) with a constantly rising threat from shadow effects (in the game I won, I had to defend attacks as high as attack strength 12 in the end), plus all the other stuff the encounter deck throws at you.
have only played it with 2 decks. o.k. that where our best decks (fast beregond-def + gandalf-elrond), but was not this big of a problem. a full equipped beregond (shield, helm, song of wisdom, torch + several courages from both decks) can def the dragon. if i remember correctly, those rounds where it attacks every player dont last long at our games. we stayed few rounds on less then 3 sidequest in victory pile .

edit: i think with 4 that will do it (4th deck in post after that one) carn dum was not a problem: https://forum.asmodee.de/viewtopic.php? ... 75#p253048 BUT is not race-proofed.

TEW

Post by TEW » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:15 pm

Yeah, sure. It is easier with full-cardpool decks (obviously), and also with just two decks. And while Beregond can defend fine for two players, he won't do the same for four (especially, since there will be more additional attacks incoming as well).

The absolute minimum you will have the dragon engaged with everyone is 4-5 rounds (depends on whether you get a side quest that damages him, or not). You simply cannot kill him faster than that.

doomguard

Post by doomguard » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:37 pm

TEW wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:15 pm
Yeah, sure. It is easier with full-cardpool decks (obviously), and also with just two decks. And while Beregond can defend fine for two players, he won't do the same for four (especially, since there will be more additional attacks incoming as well).
with 2 player beregond often has 4 times courage.wit 3-4 player there is more option to ready him. on the other hand, in that 4-playerversion there is some stage-reducing included (that is also possible race-proofed)

The absolute minimum you will have the dragon engaged with everyone is 4-5 rounds (depends on whether you get a side quest that damages him, or not). You simply cannot kill him faster than that.
with a beregond+torch+4courages (and some feint or behind strong wall for reserve) + little healing the attacks are not that big of a problem. to get there takes 3-4 rounds. "smaller" attacks, can be defended by decent defender-allies. only the attack against the hill is quite a problem. there will be some sacrifices i think. but there are some cheap allies (cost 2) that will def 4-5 (eagel, def-ramas, ent,....) of that 7 attack(without shadow) and that is more than the half. so the 5 rounds will not be as terrible as undefended.

but, u know that. i think for all races, it is possible to build a good defender. (evan hobbits, sam+cloak+engage+1-2 warnings= def 6 agains higher thread). dori is perhaps another good option in that szenario. dain + dori= def 5 naked. a few mails and they laugh about the dragon ;)

with thranduil you can give hin elvencloak and 1-2 warnings and he will survive that too.

doomguard

Post by doomguard » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:51 pm

and, u can kill him with only 3 attacks from him, if u finish the quest in the combat-phase (legolas or gondolinblades).

he has 20 hp. 1. round he is angaged with all players u can make him 4 damage (x+1). if u play smart with legolas that will be in the round, he do not attack.

then next round 5 dmg, then 6, then7

the minimum of attacks he will do are 3 turns. perhaps, with quickstrike u need only endure 2 turns of full attacks. there are some possibilities (gimli + weapon + khazad easy about str 10, or fire of gondor, or support of the eagels)

TEW

Post by TEW » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:35 pm

RIght, X+1 not X. That's a little bit faster at least. :)

Still, the general point I make is not that it cannot be done. It sure can.

The point is, it requires specific deckbuilding to do it.

And that will be hard, especially since the groups might just form on the event.